Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Noctuculan Subway Translations

Every morning, in the midst of commute madness, I do blind contour drawings. Though drawing is not my strong point, it is a much-needed moment of meditation. I don't think about life, about stress, about my never-ending 'to do' list.... in these few 30 second intervals, I find a moment of serenity. It's me, my pencil, my breath, and the motion of a train packed with interesting faces.

Because my passion for photography has me constantly thinking about how life translates as a photographic image, I naturally had to play with the concept of rendering these sketches. I decided to trade in my pencil for a LED flashlight, and my paper for a black wall. I chose some of my favorite drawings, took a mental note, turned out the lights, and recreated the images 'blindly' on a 6ft canvas. A new found 30 second meditation... I call them Noctuculan Subway Translations.



8 comments:

  1. These are sweet. They remind me of people from a different era. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know who Dominique Doktor is but from the looks of these pictures, she is gonna make it big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some interesting folks. One might call them "the trids". Kinda phallic at parts too! The guy on the right in the second picture down reminded me of the old pedofile from Family Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i miss you blogging!!!! come baaaaaaack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex, thanks for checkin this out.... whats a trid? I didnt even notice they were phallic, but now that you mention it... i guess they are. And yes! that one does look like the family guy pedofile lol too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rine......i know, meee tooo! maybe i can write Obama. ask him to add an extra hour or two to our day. I need more time!!!! or a clone, i'd settle for a clone.

    ReplyDelete