Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Uta the Hawk

Hiking The Long Path of Harriman State Park, I met a man, Antoinille, out for a stroll with his pet Hawk, Uta. Uta is 5 months old. Antoinille plans on training her for falconry, however, at the moment she is just a playful baby.

It is not every day that you encounter a chance to be so close to a wild creature of this caliber. Naturally, I wanted to make the most of this rare situation, so I asked to pet her. Antoinille said she was very friendly, and I could hold her if I wanted.












It was an intimidating thought, but how could I refuse such a great opportunity. He gave me his heavy weight glove to protect me from her strong, sharp talons, and taught me how to approach her. Uta welcomed the idea and c
limbed on, looking directly at me, head cocked with curiosity. We explored each others' features for a moment.


Her weight was shocking, so dense and muscular for an animal so young. Her grip was strong and tight. She was very agile; her movements were very controlled and vigilant. While she was on my arm, I put out my hand to pet her. Uta leaned in and opened her beak, startling me; I thought she was trying to bite me. Antoinille assured me she was only trying to get to know me. Uta gently nibbled at my finger and arm; my heart was racing but I stayed calm. It was truly an incredibly unforgettable experience.

What a great reminder of how vast and amazingly beautiful nature, and all its glory really is.

Thank you to Tom Cavalieri for showing me the way of the woods and photographing me with Uta.

6 comments:

  1. lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super awesome! What great luck to run into this amazing bird, and get a chance to hold it! Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pleasure was all mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hawks & other birds of prey. You do a great job of describing your excitement & awe of this magnificent moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's so awesome! Have you heard that the bird is the word?

    ReplyDelete